Is Blood pressure of 140/80 normal for woman aged 71?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Dr., Is Blood pressure 140/80 normal for woman aged 71? Is any medication required? Thankyou,
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Within normal range. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. I would like to reassure you that there is nothing that you need to be worried about at present. While the normal blood pressure is usually around 120/80mmHg, your blood pressure of 140/80mmHg at your age cannot be labelled as hypertension. You do need any medication for now. If you have any other associated symptoms or a family history of heart disease then it is best to consult a cardiologist for an ECG and a routine cardiac work up to find out any underlying problems. Kindly refrain from smoking, using tobacco of any kind, avoid high calorie meals, avoid junk food, stick to a low salt diet, eat plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Exercise daily by brisk walking daily for 40 minutes. All these will help in maintaining a healthy heart. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Is Blood pressure of 140/80 normal for woman aged 71? 2 hours later
Thankyou for your help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you. I am glad I could help. Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. I wish you the very best in whatever you do. Warm regards