Is Australia recommended for whipple operations?

To Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX The patient is male, 63. "Are many whipple operations performed in Australia? I have a family member in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Medical Centre, Seattle, USA. Specialists there say not sure of cause and don't want to operate there. They propose he flies with paramedic back to Sydney for Whipple operation. My reading suggests it would be better to go to XXXXXXX XXXXXXX than come back here to Sydney or Melbourne for the Whipple operation. What is your view please?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 20 hours later

Thanks for the query addressing me.

Whipple's procedure is commonly done in all parts of the world. The technique of the procedure far developed now without many complications. Surgical Gastroenterologists are doing it in all parts of the world including Sydney and Melbourne in Australia. I find many Surgical Gastroenterologist here in India trained in Australia.

You can approach any trained Surgical Gastroenterologist in Multispecialty hospital in Australia. Sydney or Melbourne should definitely have good surgeons doing this procedure. Since I am in India and practicing here I would not be able to comment on any centre in particular.

Hope this answer helps you.