Is Atenolol good for kidneys if you are diabetic?

Question
Does Atenolol help save your kidneys if you are diabetic?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Guru 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! If you have coexisting hypertension along with diabetes, then Atenolol would have had some role in saving your kidneys. But, if it is not so, I personally think it is not a good choice. Reason- we have some other drugs as well, to save your kidneys if you are a diabetic, which can be decided based on co-morbid conditions, proteinuria, levels of insulin etc. Discuss with your treating doctor as well. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications. If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!

Follow-up: Is Atenolol good for kidneys if you are diabetic? 33 minutes later
In 2007 I had gastric-bypass surgery and I was taken off of insulin. I was put on precise because my pancreas made too much insulin. My endocrinologist kept me on atacand 16mg to help protect my kidneys because I had a history of diabetes, I was taken off of atacand and put on losartan. I moved out of the state and have another group of doctors, I was taken off of 5 meds because they were making my liver enzymes high. I was taken off of Losartan, Naprosyn, Vicodin, tramadol and 50000iu of vitamin D. I was put on atenolol to replace the losartan and oxycodone-5mg to replace the pain meds which is not working because I don't think it is strong enough. I would like to be put back on Atacand even though it costs more.
Follow-up: Is Atenolol good for kidneys if you are diabetic? 2 minutes later
Also, I don't have a history of high blood pressure.

Answered by Dr. Guru 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for follow up! There is some research evidence that beta blockers(Atenelol is one of them) has a role in the protection of kidneys(from diabetic nephropathy) when compared with Atacand. However, atenelol is not prescribed only for this purpose. There are lots of other indications as well. However, as I mentioned earlier, associated conditions and outweighing of risks over benefits should be considered to judge it's use in protection of kidneys. This will be decided by treating doctor. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications. If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!