Is Asmtha diagnosis possible when suffering from bronchitus?

I have seasonal allergies, and am prone to sinus problems usually 2 x per year. I have never had bronchitus, but was recently diagnosed with it after 30 days of chronic flem, coughing, and breathing problems developed. I went to the doctor today ,and he ran chest xray, blood work, EKG, the results of which will be available next week. I also had a puliminary breathing test same day, after with he said he thought I had Asthma. Can you normally diagnose Asmtha while currently suffering with bronchitus which limits your oxygen intake and output?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pulmonary function test results can diagnose it. Detailed Answer: Hello, Pulmonary function tests dont diagnose oxygen intake or output.But they evaluate volume of air taken in , left behind and exhaled air, with this different parameters are calculated to know if there is obstructive pulmonary disease.A chart of this is drawn. Changes of bronchitis may interfere the current results to some extent.If chart is close to normal then you can repeat the study and if it is clearly towards abnormal then I think your doctor would be right in his opinion. Or other way to reduce confusion get a repeat PFT done when symptoms clear off. Hope this answers your questions.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow-up: Is Asmtha diagnosis possible when suffering from bronchitus? 45 minutes later
Why would an adult develop Asmtha, when they never had a breathing condition as a child? What conditions factor into the development of that condition as a 51 year old that has always been a non smoker?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Adult Asthma may not have childhood history. Detailed Answer: Not all adult cases of asthma have childhood history of breathing problems or smoking. Repeat chest infections, pollution, exposure to pollutants, occupational exposures and hypersensitive airways can cause this. Regards
Follow-up: Is Asmtha diagnosis possible when suffering from bronchitus? 8 minutes later
If that is my diagnosis, does that mean I will always have asthma and it is just a matter of finding out what triggers it?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: To some extent yes. Detailed Answer: Yes, if diagnosis is confirmed you will have it life long, but that doesn't mean you will have symptoms all the time.Only when you have acute attacks you will have symptoms.Also many cases starting at advanced age might be present with minimal symptoms and show less frequent attacks which also can be managed pretty well. Avoid triggering factors can further reduce attacks. Regards