Is Amoxicillin an appropriate treatment for conjunctivitis?

Is Amoxicillin an appropriate treatment for conjunctivitis? If so, what is the recommended dosage?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes it can, 500 mg twice a day, 5-7 days Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. There are usually two sources of conjunctivitis: viral or bacterial. Bacterial conjunctivitis is either simple or chlamydial infection, either of them can be treated with the following antibiotics: -Amoxicillin -Erythromycin -Tetracycline -Ciprofloxacin These medications can be used in the form of topical drops or ointments (which can be applied to the eyes directly, three times a day) or taken orally in the form of tablets. Depending on the severity of the infection, the medications will be prescribed either individually or in combination. Do let me know if you wish to get dosages for any particular medications. Amoxicillin can be used at 500 mg twice a day for 5-7 days. I hope you find my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.