Is Acyclovir intake safe when suffering from chicken pox?
User rating for this question
Immeditely post recovery of my elder son (11) from chicken pox My wife (34 ) got chickenpox 2 days back. My kid was not given any medicine but for my wife doctor has been presecribed Tablet Acyclovir (Acivir) -800 mg thrice a days for 5 days so that exposure period can be reduced . My quries are as below 1. I heard that medicines should not be given for chickne pox , shall i continue giving prescribed medicines to my wife? 2. There is also a risk of infection to Me (age 40) as well , i`m not sure if i had been given any vaccination for the same . Shall i take some preventive vaccination now , can i get check vercilla antibodies in blood for confirming need of vaccination to me , if yes can you pls prescribed the tests 3. Any other advice by you on the same.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Relax. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Chickenpox is highly contagious. -continue with acyclovir as prescribed by doctor. -IgG Elisa testing can be done and positive test indicates that person has antibodies to VZV either from past disease or vaccination. -test for antibodies should be done if practicable as long as it does not delay Zoster immunoglobulin administration for greater than 96hours from exposure. -there is significant exposure for contacts living in same households person.period of infectivity is from 48 hours before onset of rash until crusting of all lesions occur. I suggest you be in regular followup with your doctor. Hope I have answered your query. Wishing you and your family good health. God bless.
People also viewed
- Is it safe to eat noodles when chicken pox?
- Side effects of sensipar
- Eggs intake safe for chicken pox patients
- Is it safe for kid to give meftal who is suffering from chicken pox
- Treatment and cure for mesenteric lymphadenitis
- Treatment and cure for endometrial tuberculosis
- Side effects of gemfibrozil
- Is acyclovir intake safe when suffering from chicken pox
- Treatment and cure for hiv serology/ tuberculosis
- Is it safe enough to intake paracetamol during chicken pox
- Treatment and cure for partially treated meningitis
- Side effects of hcg injection
- Treatment and cure for secondary meningococcal meningitis
- Side effects of estradiol and norgestimate
- Side effects of collagen injections