Is 2.23 tsh / 1.07 free t4 out of range during pregnancy ?

Hi, I am 17 weeks preg with twins. I have a history of hypothyroid. I treat herbally/homeopathically, though I am followed by an endo. My tsh just tested at 2.23 and free t4 at 1.07. My endo says this is out of range (tsh) and wants to add 50 mcg synthroid to my regimen.( I do not see this as out of range, and am very reluctant to start a new script while pregnant. Is 2.23tsh/1.07 free t4 really out of range? I didn't even think it would qualify as subclinical hypo. If it is subclinical, would this level present any risk to the pregnancy? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later

Though the reading you mentioned is not practically out of range but anything above 2 is considered as a risk of developing Hypothyroidism and its not safe to take chances in pregnancy .The T4 levels are is undoubtedly low ( normal range : 4.5 to 11.2 micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dL).Hence starting the Synthroid is a best option here.

During the pregnancy even if you are suffering from subclinical hypothyroidism it can produce significant growth and mental retardation in the child.Thyroid hormone is essential for brain and overall development of the fetus and its optimum levels are a must specially in pregnancy.

In your case as your endo is suggesting you, you must start with 50 mcg of synthyroid to have an optimum growth of your child. After starting the medicine, repeated thyriod profiles are necessary at least every month to monitor the control.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.