Is 2 peg of alcohol in a day dangerous for health?

Psychiatrist
Question
I AM TAKING TWO PEGS DAILY IN TWO HOURS. I WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH TIME I SHOULD TAKE TO FINISH TWO PEGS WILL BE HEALTHY FOR ME
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Firstly, I hope you are aware of the safe drinking limits. For a male, the maximum limit is 21 units of alcohol per week, with a maximum limit of 4 units in any one day, and there should be at least two alcohol-free days a week. For a better understanding, 1 unit of alcohol will be the equivalent of:
- half a pint of ordinary strength beer, lager or cider (3-4% alcohol by volume); or
- a small pub measure (25 ml) of spirits (40% alcohol by volume); or
- half a medium glass of regular wine (12% alcohol by volume)

Secondly, to answer your specific question, it has been found that slow drinking is healthier and has lesser side effects that drinking quickly. It takes about one hour for the body to metabolize one unit of alcohol. Assuming that the standard peg is 45 ml, your alcohol intake for 2 standard pegs will be 4 units. So, it would be better if you take one peg over two hours. Moreover, if you are taking 4 units everyday, then your weekly consumption works out to about 28 units, which exceeds the safe drinking limits. So, I would advise you to also cut down the daily amount of consumption of alcohol.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist