Is 116 over 66 with a pulse rate of 80 normal for 42 years old?

Is 116 over 66 with a pulse rate of 80 good for a rest 42 year old male
Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Broadly speaking, considering your background cardiac medical history and age - those figures of Blood pressure (BP) you quoted with the Pulse rate looks good.
But, there is more to a single reading of BP that cannot be taken as a guide. 2-3 readings and an average is always the rule for a good medical comment.

Strictly speaking, 116 systolic and 66 diastolic is absolutely normal reading as per American Heart Association's guidelines on Hypertension.

You might be well aware already, that BP fluctuates with time of day and night apart from the drugs you take and conditions you have. As you have mentioned you have been a hypertensive - You would need to be regular with your follow ups.

Mild degree of altered LVF - I must assume is the reason why you have mentioned Heart failure category. But, heart failure is of many grades and I do not think you are in the uncompensated phase which is the one to be extremely cautious about. I assume you would be in the compensatory phase which is the better of the two - and you nevertheless have to follow all instructions given your doctor for the same.

You have not mentioned any drugs that you have taken or are currently on - which might help me to comment further.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Is 116 over 66 with a pulse rate of 80 normal for 42 years old? 11 hours later
I thank you for the information given, as of meds...I haven't been prescribed any. I've just been taking natural herb supplements. Cq10, salmon oil, Hawthorne, vitamin e things of that nature. Since I have my Bp has been normal and only slightly elevated to 130 over 80 at the doctors and normal when I visit the accupuncturist...the only problem I've been having is a chest pain, that when I went to the hospital the day before yesterday the EKG came out fine, they took an X-ray and saw my lungs were fine and the doctor explained to me that this pain has to so with inflammed cartilage in my ribs. You have to excuse the long book I'm writing but this is most of everything I've been going through In nut shell...I have been so worried about my heart that i almost drive myself crazy up until this doctor explained to me my pain. I thought it was my heart. But I've basically been monitoring my Bp just for my info. I've changed my diet and continuously do my work out regularly. Well that's all . Again, sorry for this long summary. Thank you again for ur answer
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 4 hours later
Thanks for the reply.
You are more than welcome to write as much details about your conditions.

Now that your rib cartilage rather than the heart has been found by your doctor you should now be real positive about your health.

Your nutritional supplements are XXXXXXX in antioxidants which have some beneficial effects
But do not take them for more than necessary.

Your age, your physical activity and your dietary changes should give you all the more reasons to be stress free now.

Wishing you the best of health again.
Follow-up: Is 116 over 66 with a pulse rate of 80 normal for 42 years old? 5 hours later
Thank you, one more question since you brought up that subject. I've been taking these supplements for at the most 2 months. I so not have a primary doctor, I was taking these supplements through research. So can you please tell me how long I should take them and when should they be stopped of lowered in the amount of the supplements I take?
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 27 hours later

A couple of more weeks should be fine, provided your diet is well balanced.

Studies on a large scale do not exist to say these supplements will definitely provide benefit. But, as they help in body metabolic needs - its intake is not argued against.
And, they are not drugs to have set duration of therapy.

So, I leave it best to your discretion as I explained above.

Wishing you the best of health.