Irritation in vagina, burning sensation, discharge, muscle pain, hip pain, STD tests negative. Causes ?

Question
HEY HOW U DOING MY NAME IS XXXXXXX I HAVE A LOT OF PROBLEM WITH MY VAGINA ITS ALWAYS IRRITATE AND BURNING AND I KEEP ALOT OF DISCHARGE I HAVE BEEN CHECK FOR STDS BUT THEY ALL CAME BACK NEGATIVE MY I HAVE MUSCLES ACHE AND MY HIPS BE HURTING TO IM 25 YEARS OLD I WEIGH 94 LBS AND IM 5'0'' TALL I JUST WONDER KNOW WHAT U THINK MY PROBLEM IS
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub or an infection caused by bacteria or yeast. However the possibility of an infection is more in your case because infection is associated with vaginal discharge as well and it may change in color, consistency or smell.
The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.