Irritation in eyes after taking steam inhalation for sinus problem. Suggest a solution

General Surgeon
As i am having Sinus problem, one of teh doctor suggested to take frequent steam inhalation, so when i am taking steam inhalation by closing eyes tightly, i am getting irritation in my eyes, i am not understanding what to do, if i don't take steam i suffer from sinus problem, if i take steam, then i am getting eyes irritation, please help me on how to solve this problem.
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Use electric steamer

Detailed Answer:

Greetings of the day.

I do agree with your doctor that steam inhalation is very much helpful in treating sinus problem. As you are very much relieved from the symptoms of sinus with steam inhalation apart from having eye irritation. I would suggest you the following

Buy a electric steamer in which eyes can be preferentially be kept away from source of steam. Lie on a sofa with back support, place a cut slice of cucumber and place one slice each on the way, which will prevent exposure of eyes to steam and will Also have soothing effect on eye.

I have tried it in many patients and it has done the trick.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Irritation in eyes after taking steam inhalation for sinus problem. Suggest a solution 34 minutes later
Doctor, thanks for reply, i am currently using electric steamer only, but i am not able understand how by lying on sofa we can take steam, can i have a picture so that i can try, or are there specific electric steamers available to use by lying on sofa or bed.
Brief Answer:
Semi reclined position

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX.
Lie semi reclined, either in sofa or reclining chair(mid way between sitting and lying down position). Few of the steamers have a rod like extension from which the steam escapes through small aperture which can be placed close to the nose and can avoid steam exposure to eyes unlike regular steamers. For extra precautions you may as well use cucumber slices on top of your eyes or eye shields which will prevent exposure to steam.
Few of my patients have ordered from online shopping sites like eBay. Various portable table top steamers are available with small aperture which can be used comfortably in sitting position without having exposure to eyes