Ask a Urologist   »  

Irritation and tingling in penis,normal blood work,normal urine sample

Question
My five year old son complains often that his penis tickles. He had blood work done and a urine sample and everything was fine. His growth and development are all very much on track. Any ideas what it could be?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 47 minutes later

I assume that your kid must be circumcised.

Tickling or irritation of the penis in a 5 yr old boy, would most probably be due to dryness or skin chaffing.

Genital skin is much more delicate than other skin so irritation resulting from soap products, etc. is probably more likely than in other areas.

Treatment is by keeping the area clean and dry - washing daily then effective towel drying.

If it does not help, using a mild topical steroid ointment will relieve the symptoms.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Follow-up: Irritation and tingling in penis,normal blood work,normal urine sample 44 minutes later
I dont think that's what it is. Sometimes he also says his toes tickle. Could it be psycho sematic? Stress or something? It seems to coincide with moving? But it really comes and goes. Would you recommend a neurologist or do you think it's something less severe?

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 4 hours later
Hello again,

To answer your question, i might need additional information about any other symptoms or problems that your kid might be having.

Does he have any growth issues, skin rashes, fever, pains, change in appetite, loss of weight or lack of proper weight gain, tiredness, lethargy, etc ?

Absence of such problems usually rule out any systemic medical disorders.

The presence of generalized tickling or itching in the peripheral parts of the body ( tip of penis, or the toes, etc) could be due to peripheral eosinophilia [elevated levels of eosinophils (type of blood cells)].

But in presence of isolated tickling, it could be a benign issue, related to skin dryness. Application of vaseline, Baby oil, or Eurax cream might relieve such symptoms.

At the age of 5 years, the probability of psycho-somatic disorders is very less likely. Hence examination and evaluation by a neurologist would not be necessary.

In case the symptoms are very severe and intolerable, examination by your family doctor might suffice to know the cause of your kids symptoms.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.

Regards.