Ask a Urologist   »  

Irritation and pain in pelvic region, urine infection due to prostatitis. Does Veltam f cause ejaculation problem?

I have irritation and pain in the pelvic region. I have urine infection also (due to prostatitis). I have been asked to take veltam f. But veltam f creates problem in ejaculation. Doctor advises to ejaculate twice a week, This is contradictiing. I am taking Bactrim tablet also for urine infection. please give me a reply sir
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 4 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Lower abdominal pain , associated with sensation of irritation, dysuria, frequency , urgency, are signs of urinal tract infection that can affect any level of urinary tract ( urethra, prostate, bladder, kidney, ). Any urinal tract infection and prostatitis must be laboratory confirmed. In case of chronicle prostatitis there can be associated chronicle pelvic pain syndrome, that explain your lower pelvic pain and discomfort. At this stage you need properly laboratory investigation, exactly : antibiogram (testing for the sensitivity of an isolated bacterial strain to different antibiotics ) that will help you find exactly most potent antibiotic for your condition, Prostate-specific antigen (PSA), CBC( complete blood count ), electrolytes, BUN( blood urea nitrogen ), creatinine, urine and blood culture. Only right chosen antibiotic will help .Sometime UTIs can cause erectile dysfunctions with ejaculatory pain. There no scientific confirmed prove that frequently ejaculation will improve or will cure chronicle prostatitis, UTIs.
VELTAM-F tab is indicated for benign prostatic hypertrophy. In combination with antibiotics may reduce risk of prostatitis recurrence. All details regarding dosage, frequency, side effects, you have to consult with your Physician who prescribed you this drug.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.
Best Regards,
Follow-up: Irritation and pain in pelvic region, urine infection due to prostatitis. Does Veltam f cause ejaculation problem? 42 hours later
Thank you very much for the reply,
The bacteria in the semen culture is found to be e-coli. Based on this test only tablet bactrim is suggested. I do have a pain in the anus all the time. This is confusing to conlude what problem i exactly i have, or this pain is because of the tablet bactrim, please advice.

with Regards,

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 6 hours later
Welcome back,
I am glad you have done many tests and start therapy. Yes , Bactrim are indicated in urinal tract infection including prostatitis and hope you will have positive result from this treatment. Your anal pain is not due to medication ( Bactrim ), is very possible you experience this pain due to inflammation and mild hypertrophy of your prostate gland .I believe on the end of treatment when will treat infection and prostate function will comeback to normal then your discomfort will disappear. For your self to be calm you may consult the Doctor for physical examination and rule out hemorrhoids, polyps and another anorectal pathology that can generate anal pain and discomfort.

I wish you speedy recovery and good luck,

If you have additional queries, dont hesitate to ask,

Best Regards,