Irritation and blood in the anus. Causes?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
about 2 weeks ago I had irritation by my anus, maybe hamroids. They went away after few days. I did notice after using the bathroom that there was lil bloody when I wiped and what seemed like a tiny piece of flesh. Now when I release gas esp after I use the bathroom I feel like there is hole next my anus that some of the gas comes out thro. Usually it's closed but sometimes I feel the gas slip thro there and when I wipe after I find tiny amount of blood in there
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Your history is suggestive of a fistula, as apart from this there is no other situation around the anus where gas can escape from a hole near the anus

But before confirming the diagnosis I need to ask you few questions :

1] Are you constipated?
2] Two weeks ago, you had irritation only or hemorrhoids also?
3] Is the piece of flesh still there ?
4] Did you have any swelling near the anus in the place where you find the hole ?
5] Was there pain in the same area which was relived after some fluid and blood came out ?

Revert back to me with these replies and we will help you out

Get Well Soon
Follow-up: Irritation and blood in the anus. Causes? 1 hour later
1. No I'm not constipated
2. I didn't see a dr so I assume I had hemroids at worst case or very worst case or bad irrtation that lasted about 5 days at best case then it was gone.
3. I used the bathroom one time number 2, when I wiped I noticed there was a tiny really small piece in the toillet paper that was red. I took another piece of toilet paper and squeezed on it, lil more blood came out of it but but it stayed solid. I assum it's not clot of blog but a piece of flesh but I'm not sure if it came where the hole is now or inside the anus.
4. There won't be any swelling or irrtation most of the time. if I release gas n it goes out thro the anus everything is fine so I assume the hole closes sometime. However if there is too much presdure from the gas I feel some of it goes thro the hole n it gets lil irretated them for lil while.
I can control the gas not to put too much pressure on the hole n get released from there. The problem is when I go to the bathroom number 2, the pressure on the hole is too much n it gets
irretated then for an hour or 2 n I notice lil amount of blood when I wipe after using the bathroom then. Most the time after an hour or 2 it's fine no irrtation.
5. yes there was pain when the blood came out the first. Now if I use the bathroom number 2 n i wipe, I might found tiny amount of blood maybe 1 drop or 2 when I wipe but not much pain a st all tho.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later

Thanks for posting your followup query

Good you have given a detailed account of the issue

Yes I. Feel it is a fistula in ano

Now there are two ways of confirming it , either go for a sonography from the anus or go for a conventional fistulogram

In the mean time you may go for a 7 day antibiotic course so that primary infection is controlled I would also like to have the report to guide you regarding surgery

Hope all clear.

Get well soon.