Irritating rash outside vagina, spreading, purple, hurts to peel

hi, im not sure if its a rash or a fungus that i have on the outer part of my vagina, at first i just thouth it was a scab. but its really irritating and it started off real small now its spreading and starting on the other side too. the color of it is weird its like dark purple & some pink. and when i pick at the scabs its peels off but hurts. what should i do?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 7 hours later

On reading your description of the rash/scab,I am of the opinion that this looks like herpes genitalis It could also be a vaginal infection due to bacteria or protozoan.A vaginitis would present with similar symptoms.

Without an examination it would be very difficult to point out at the exact cause.
I suggest you to consult a gynecologist or a dermatologist for an examination. you may need to undergo some tests like complete blood counts,blood sugar,urine analysis and microscopy. Culture of vaginal discharge or a smear test from the scab will also be needed.

Treatment with topical and oral antibiotics or antifungals depending on the cause will be helpful if it is vaginitis.Meanwhile I suggest you follow these measures
1. Avoid tight undergarments and tight clothing.
2. Drink lot of fluids and water daily
3. Maintain good private hygiene,avoid use of soaps over the area while bathing for a while.
4.Have a good diet , with more of XXXXXXX vegetables and fruits, they are XXXXXXX in antioxidants , provide good immunity , fight infections.
5. If your sexually active, it would be ideal for your partner to use condoms until your completely cured of it.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Irritating rash outside vagina, spreading, purple, hurts to peel 7 hours later
i was also wondering do you think that me applying neosporin on it could have made it worse?
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 13 hours later

Good to see you back.

Application of Neosporin would have helped it. It will not make the rashes worse.

Do not hesitate in getting an examination done from a dermatologist.

Wish you good health