Irritated navel, swollen, foul odor, peeling. Treatment?

ENT Specialist
My male friend's navel is irritated; swollen, stinks and when rubbed, skin starts to peel. What causes this and how is this treated?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 42 minutes later

Swollen, painful and irritated umbilicus points towards only a few possibilities.
1- Umbilical hernia( 90% possibility).
2- Localized inflammation(10 %).

First let me discuss about the second cause, i.e., the localized inflammation called as the Belly button, it is secondary to some ornament injury.

After this the naval becomes too susceptible to a variety of infections caused either due to bath water, excessive rubbing or using a naval stud.

Soap, which we use during our bath, passes through our belly button or naval and gets stored there, which, if not cleaned regularly with a proper care, causes a filth in the cavity of naval, paving the way for micro germs breeding there on large scale.

The treatment is simple, avoid using any sort of belly button over it.
Apply locally antibiotic, anti inflammatory cream over it. It will heal in next 15 days.

Now coming to the first more likely possibility, that is umbilical hernia.

For this consult a general surgeon, the doctor will advise you ultrasound of the area to confirm the diagnosis.

After this he will prescribe you some oral antibiotics, pain killers, antiinflammatory drugs to subside the acute phase. Then he may plan for surgical removal.

In the mean time, please stop any sort of exercises even warmups.

Don't worry he will be alright.

Hope this will help you out and I am ready for future follow ups(if any).