Irritated and bleeding navel, oozing light liquid, raw skin. Had gall bladder surgery. What should I do?

Hi, first off I had gallbladder surgery almost 2 years ago. And I am over weight and aware of making sure my navel is clean and dry as much as possible, but about a week ago now I started to notice it becoming irritated and starting to bleed, so I cleaned it better and put some ointment on it and checked it often. But it hasn't seem to be getting better and started ozzing the second day, and by the third day it was ozzing light XXXXXXX and quite a bit, I now can't keep it dry and all I do to it is clean it with water and try to keep it dry with gauze. What could be causing this and what should I do?. The skin in some parts is raw and seems to be breaking down in other now too:( please help....
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 59 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Being a dark, warm and moist area, the belly button provides a favorable environment for the growth of microorganism like bacteria and fungi.
The growth of these yeast or bacteria hence causes belly button infection with symptoms like you have mentioned.
The chunky discharge is usually yellowish, greenish or grayish in color and often develops as a result of secondary bacterial infection due to scratching.
You can clean the affected area with saline solution, diluted hydrogen peroxide to reduce bellybutton infection. Also you can use water based antiseptic creams.
It will be better if you see physician for examination and for exact diagnosis and also for getting the sample for culture and sensitivity.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.