Irregularity in menstrual cycle after implantation. Should I go for medical treatment?

May 2013
Hi I have been on my period for over 3 weeks now I do have the implant which I have had for 3 years and 3 months and had it changed after the 3 years. My periods have usually been between 1 to 4 days since being on the implant and have been irregular. I have had a history of abnormal smears but my last was in february and after treatment the smear came back normal. Do u think I should see my GP about this or do u think it could just be the implant?
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 47 minutes later

Implant can cause menstrual irregularities like menorrhagea, intermittent spotting, brown discharge etc.
So more possibly your continuous bleeding could be the side effect of implant.
As you changed to new one 3 months back it may take sometime for regularization of hormonal levels and that can lead to menstrual irregularity.
And as you are still having bleeding better consult gynecologist once to take treatment to stop the bleeding.
Usually these episodes will not repeat in future once the hormones come into normal levels.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.