Ask a Urologist   »  

Irregular urine flow, varying between split and smooth

My urine flow is irregular. Sometimes split, sometimes smooth then uneven.
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 14 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Are there any other symptoms like increased frequency of urination,increased urgency or feeling of incomplete emptying etc?

Please provide details, so that I can answer better.Regards.
Follow-up: Irregular urine flow, varying between split and smooth 11 hours later
I rarely need to go in the middle of the night. I don't believe i completely fill my bladder durring the day before urgency hits. I feel fully emptied after going.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 8 hours later

There are two things which can be considered in your case.First is urethral stricture and second is enlarged prostate.Though you don't have typical symptoms of prostate enlargement, but at your age this is more common cause.A sonography can help to confirm or rule this out.Sometime only a part of prostate is enlarged and you might not have all symptoms.

Second thing is stricture of urethra can present like this.A micturating urethrogram can help to evaluate this.

So ideal step would to see a urologist and get these investigations done.

Please ask if there are doubts.