Irregular pulse and frequent urination, symptoms of FIB. Had an ablation for atrial flutter. Need ablation to cure FIB?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Please type your question here...In 2007 I had an ablation to treat atrial flutter. About a year and a half ago, I started to get symptoms of a-fib..a strong heart beat, rapid uneven pulse and very frequent urination that lasts several hours. The episodes end in my being exhausted and then becoming revitalized with a good night's sleep. These attacks can occur several times a week. Q: Is it time for an ablation (or two) to cure the a-fib ?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 18 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I understand that you are having recurrent palpitations suggestive of Arrhythmic episodes after a successful ablation for Atrial Flutter.

The first step is to confirm the diagnosis by capturing the arrhythmia on an ECG. If the symptoms last long enough, you can get an ECG done during the arrhythmia so that a definitive diagnosis of the arrhythmia can be made.

If the arrhythmia is less frequent, a Holter monitor (24- hour) or an Event recorder (a week to 3 months) can be done to diagnose the arrhythmia.

The treatment offered would be specific to the type of arrhythmia. If, indeed it is AF, the options include medical management with drugs to control the rate, prevent blood from clotting and depending on circumstances, drugs to convert the AF to sinus rhythm and maintain the sinus rhythm. Other options include special types of pacemakers to prevent atrial arrhythmias, implantable atrial defibrillator devices and radiofrequency ablation. Surgical procedures are rarely considered these days.

Atrial fibrillation has a varied spectrum of presentation and therefore, treatment needs tailoring to individual needs.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me for any further clarifications.
With regards,
Dr RS Varma