Irregular periods with heavy bleeding. Have thyroid problem. On medication. Further treatment?

May 2013
Hi ! I Had regular mensuration cycle till 28th march. I missed my 1 cycle. On 23rd may I started having little spotting and light beeding which continues till 2nd XXXXXXX Since then. Am having heavy bleeding with no other symptoms like stomached or backache. I am having thyroid problem. I got my thyroid check and it was 18. I started my medication on 29h may. I am 26 years old and unmarried women. Please adduce me s anything serious?
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
thanks for the query.

the possible causes for you prolonged bleeding are,

-hypothyroidism: thyroid hormone maintains the metabolism of the body,
alterations in hormonal levels can lead to menstrual irregularities,
hypothyroidism sometimes leads to prolonged and heavy bleeding.

-alteration of hormonal levels: estrogen and progesterone are the hormones which maintain the regular cycles,
because of many factors like stress and strain, sudden weight gain or loss etc can affect hypothalamo pituitary ovarian axis leading to menstrual irregularities.

-presence of uterine fibroids can also lead to prolonged and heavy bleeding.

so, you visit local gynecologist and get ultrasound done which will rule out local pathology,
then you can take tablets for stoppage of bleeding and meanwhile you have to continue thyroxine tablets,
if same thing repeats in the next cycles also you have to go for hormonal evaluation like estrogen, progesterone, LH, FSH, prolactin etc, which will possibly find out abnormality in higher centers like hypothalamo pituitary axis.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.