Irregular periods with dark discharge. No cramps. Should I got to a doctor?

Hi, I have noticed over the past few months I almost always have two periods a month. The first one is always pretty light and lasts about 4 days. Then I stop bleeding for a few days and then start the darker discharge like happens on the last day or so of a normal period. Then I start bleeding again like a normal period for a couple days. I am only 31, I'm not sexually active, and I don't ever have heavy bleeding or cramps. If I ever do cramp it's not bad and is only on the very first day. What could be the cause. Should I be worried? There is no history of female health problems in my family on either side of my family (my mom or dad). And how do I find a Good doctor to go see about this?

Thank you so much!
Posted Mon, 11 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us

This type of bleeding is called dysfunctional uterine bleeding and is usually due to progesterone deficiency

Anaemia can be a contributing factor

Get your ultrasound done to see the endometrial thickness

As you already had three open heart surgeries so it is advisable to take any treatment under cardiologist as well as gynaecologist

Thyroid disorder can also cause irregular cycles

Best wishes