Ask a Urologist   »  

Irregular periods, weight gain. Diagnosed with PCOS. Ultrasound shows urinary bladder with echogenic material. Suggestion?

After having gained a considerable amount of weight over the last 12 years my periods started to become irregular. My GYN did a pelvic ultrasound to look for PCOS (which was positive). During that ultrasound exam my urinary bladder was found to be FULL of echogenic material. After the doctor reviewed the images she had her secretary call me and ask that I make an appointment to see a Urologist because "She has no idea what it could be." (Not very comforting.) I'm not able to get in to see a Urologist for one month. I've been trying not to stress out about it but they called me once again to make sure I had scheduled an appointment because my UA results showed trace blood and 2+ bacteria with negative culture results. These findings coupled with the fact that for the past year I've been experiencing fullness, tenderness and bloating inferior to my navel and superior to my pubic bone, midline; a level of gassiness that is not normal for me; and feeling mildly nauseous off and on... I'm worried and I don't want to spend the next 3+ weeks worried sick over something that might be nothing. One more thing worth considering... I may not be physically fit (anymore) but I am very conscious of hygiene. As such, I use a deodorant powder each day to avoid body odor. If I happen to be out of powder I have, in the past, used my solid deodorant stick along my pubic bone area as I have developed a small pannus over the years. I am 100% certain that I did exactly that on the day of my ultrasound. Is it possible that the foci seen on my uls. are artifacts from the deodorant? I had my GYN's secretary ask the doctor for me; she called back and stated that the doctor said "No. The material seen on ultrasound is IN your bladder." I am 38 years old (39 in November) and other than the newly diagnosed PCOS I have never been diagnosed as having any other medical conditions or health problems. My last physical examination was within the last year and all of my test results came back normal with the exception of a slightly elevated cholesterol panel. My most recent Pap smear (Sept. 2011) came back showing inflamed but normal cervical cells (which has been normal for me for 10+ years). Outside of two uncomplicated pregnancies resulting in two SVDs of completely healthy children I have only been hospitalized one time, in August 2010 at which time I was presumed to have passed a stone. I have attached a JPG of my bladder ultrasound. I have two images but the other image does not include the entire bladder from left-to-right. On the other image, however, the sonographer had placed two markers. As you look at the image on your computer screen she placed one marker along the top edge and one along the bottom edge of a dark, oblong area less than 1 cm high on the top, left side of the image. Why might she have marked that area? Thank you!
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
The multiple scattered echogenic shadows in the urinary bladder found on your ultrasound examination are certainly not due to the deodorant that you used.
Such multiple echogenic shadows can be due to-
1. Mechanical artifacts while performing the scan.
2. Any metallic supplement that you are consuming and is getting excreted in urine.
3. Multiple small calculi.
4. Urinary bladder infection. The shadows seen may be the freely floating debris in the bladder due to infection.
5. Chronic bladder inflammation.
6. An abnormal bladder growth.
A cystoscopy is needed under the guidance of a urologist to exactly know the diagnosis. Till then have plenty of fluids to flush out all the infections through the urine.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: Irregular periods, weight gain. Diagnosed with PCOS. Ultrasound shows urinary bladder with echogenic material. Suggestion? 3 hours later
Admitttedly, I am the worst kind of patient...a medical transcriptionist for one of the largest hospitals in MI for the last 16 years. I know enough to scare the hell out of myself but not enough to know better. Without having said it directly, I am, of course, worried about worst case...some kind of CA. My appointment isn't for another 3-1/2 weeks. Based on the uls appearance, the 2+ bacteria and trace blood on my UA, and the negative CNS should I try to see if I can get an earlier appointment? What would you recommend to one of YOUR loved ones?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Such uniformly scattered shadows are least likely to be associated with a carcinomatous growth. CA is more likely to be irregular and localized and such a wide spread affection would have caused XXXXXXX hematuria by now.
You need not worry so much. I think you can wait for your regular appointment.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.