Irregular periods, vaginal dryness, burning sensation in vagina, abdominal pain. Was treated for yeast infection. Advise

Question
I'm having irregular periods for past 1.5 yrs, before that i used to hv regular periods. 6 mnths ago i ws treated with yeast infection. i've been in a relationship for 2 yrs now. i get my periods after evry 2 months. 2 days before i had protected sex with my fiancé. But after that my vagina went dry and had burning sensation and irritation in my vagina, with thick white discharge. Yesterday the discharge was thick brown with burning, irritation and pain on touching. i'm also having slight abdominal pain sometimes. My last period was 2 months ago. Please help me as i cant visit doctor immediately.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Since you are having irregular periods, hence pregnancy status needs to be made clear first. To be absolutely clear about the status of your pregnancy, I suggest you to test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test 10 days post ovulation with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.

The brown spotting can be due to implantation bleeding if you are pregnant and in case you are not pregnant, this spotting can be due to trauma during intercourse which is causing pain, burning and brownish spotting. any vaginal infection also needs to be ruled out.
I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. . Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:
1)      Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2)     Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3)     Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4)     Change underwear daily, wash underwear in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Irregular periods, vaginal dryness, burning sensation in vagina, abdominal pain. Was treated for yeast infection. Advise 30 hours later
Thank you doctor for your response. I had my period today, so that rules out any symptom of being pregnant. Also we always used protection. May be the symptom is due to irregularity in my menstrual cycle that occurs nearly every 2 months. Should i use AF-kit again to rule out any infection???

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

You can use AF kit but use it under medical supervision after fungal infection is confirmed.

To confirm the diagnosis and rule it out, you need to get an examination done from a gynecologist.

Till the time, you get evaluated , follow these measures for quick relief from the symptoms:

1)     Avoid wearing tight fitting clothing like jeans and pantyhose and underwear made from synthetic fibre.
2)     Remove wet or damp bathing suits immediately after swimming.
3)     Avoid douching, perfumed soaps, bubble baths and toiletries.
4)     Change underwear daily, wash them in hot water (to destroy fungi) and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent).
5)     Eat healthy nutritious food and drink plenty of fluids. Also sleep for at least 6 hours in a day.