Irregular periods since child birth with IVF. Having brown spotting mid cycle with tiny brown clots. Should I worry ?

Ever since i had my daughter 13 months ago I have had irregular periods. One month it will come a week or two early, the next month it will be about two weeks late. It rotates between 21-40 days in-betwen periods. Now this month I am having brown spotting mid cycle with tiny brown clots as well. I always have pretty painful periods as well. I am wondering if this sounds concerning and what might be causing this. I am not sure if this matters but i also have a unicorn uterus and had to do IVF to conceive our daughter.
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to us

This type of bleeding is called dysfunctional uterine bleeding and is usually due to hormonal disturbances or thyroid disorder

Painful periods can be due to endometriosis also

It is better to get an ultrasound done to see the endometrium and the ovaries

Treatment with progesterone like norethisterone can regulate it but should be taken under doctor's guidance and prescription

Unicorn uterus and IVF has nothing to do with it

Best wishes

Any further query is most welcome