Irregular periods, prolactin and thyroid test done

Hi I am XXXXXXX 19yrs, I am facing irregular periods for which I went thru treatment but still have the prob, my tests thyriod & prolactin r ok pl advice, I am fit sports person otherwise
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Your query looks concerning. I would need the following details to help me answer address your concern properly.

1. Have you had any hormone tests done like LH, FSH done etc?
2. How long have you had your irregular periods?
3. Have you done an ultrasound?
4 How are your cycles now? How many days do you bleed and how long?
5. Do you do any strenous exercise?
6. Have you take any treatment?

If you have already go the test and ultrasound scans done, it would be appreciable, if you could send be a copy of the reports. You can upload the reports while posting your follow up query. Alternatively you may send me the reports to my attention by mail to YYYY@YYYY

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Irregular periods, prolactin and thyroid test done 4 days later
Pl find attached my reports as well as treatment records, wating for your reply,
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 hours later

I have read your reports.
You have been previously diagnosed as polycystic disease.

There may be several causes of irregular cycles.Thyroid disease,hyper prolactenemia,PCOS etc can all cause irregular menses.Now,its important that a complete hormone profile be done to determine any ovarian cause.Two causes may occur at the same time.You should get a serum LH,FHS,TESTOSTERONE,DHEA,EE2 LEVELS done.Its best to get these done on day 2 or 3 of your menses.Along with that serum T3,T4,TSH,PROLACTIN, should also be done.Accordingly your cabergolin dose should be adjusted.You blood sugar should be tested monthly.

Now your ultrasound suggests that you have PCOS.But there may be other hormonal factors involved.Continue the metformin and cabergolin till then.Its important to rule out premature ovarian failure.

Also if you need withdrawal bleeding then you need to take medication which a gynecologist can prescribe after examining you.You will bleed after that.Do the blood test on day 2 of your cycle.Then please do get back to me with the reports.

Do consult a gynaecologist for a prescription for the medicines and the tests.