Irregular periods, no birth control pills taken, lose weight, done urine dip stick test. Possibility of pregnancy?

My wife has had irregular periods and tracking basal body temp, etc has been hard because her temps don't make sense. She has never been on birth control or anything and doesn't want to see a dr. but we want to get pregnant and have tried over a year. Any tips we can try?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 12 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Patients with irregular periods have irregular or no ovulation

please keep a track of your wife's dates in a pocket dairy or a calender.

If your wife is below 30 yrs of age you may try naturally for sometime.

Basal body temp tracking is not easy, You will need to check the temperature early mornings every day from day 7 to day 18 of the cycle instead you can use LH (Leutenizing Hormone) surge kits which are available in a pharmacy. This test is a urine dip stick test, hence can be done at home.

LH surge test will give you a fair idea regarding the time of ovulation hence a better chances at conceiving if you indulge in sexual intercourse during the LH surge.

If you have sexual intercourse every 3 days or more frequently through out the cycle then it will be easier to conceive.

It is also advisable to loose weight if your BMI is over 23.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for follow up.