Irregular periods, negative pregnancy test. Is there any serious problem or is it pregnancy?

Question
hello sir i had asked you before that she is not having his period regularly and then u had told me to check the pregnanacy test but it was negative but from last 35 days she didnt getting any period so is there is any serious problem plss tell me sir or she get pregnant...
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later

A period overdue by only 5 days might be suggestive of pregnancy. If she has not had her period till now then repeat urine for pregnancy test is advisable to rule out pregnancy.

If the pregnancy is ruled out then other factors need to be considered like hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amenorrhea, polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that need to be considered.

If this has happened for the first time then after ruling out the pregnancy she can wait for few more days for the periods to come.

In case the periods are still absent then she needs to visit her gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required to find out the cause so that treatment can be given accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Irregular periods, negative pregnancy test. Is there any serious problem or is it pregnancy? 30 minutes later
actually mam she hadtaken unwanted 72 after sex and then again she had taken ipill after 35 day so it is harmfull for her for her period or she got pregnant
is is any serious case of pregnanacy or it might be some other problem ...........she had done pregnancy test after 1 month of sex and the result is negative so there is a chance of pregnancy or not,...

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Since she has taken unwanted 72 twice in last 35 days, it might be causing the delay in her bleeding.

Taking the emergency contraceptive within 24 hours of unprotected sex provides 95% protection against pregnancy.

She can wait for her periods to come.

Repeated intake of emergency contraceptives causes such menstrual irregularities and delay in periods.

The pregnancy is not likely with negative urine tests.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Irregular periods, negative pregnancy test. Is there any serious problem or is it pregnancy? 4 hours later
but 1st time only she had taken pill within 24 hours and 2nd time she had taken it after 48 hrs so it mmay cause pregnancy chance or not ...
but i had heard that it can take within 72 hrs of unprotected sex is it true or not mam..
and is it possible that after taking pregnancy test i.e negative can cause pregnant ...because she had test through her by own by taking pregnancy test from market so can it be possible that she may be pregnant...plssss reply me mam...

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

The Unwanted 72 is a single dose tablet and should be taken as early as possible and not later than 72 hours of unprotected sex or contraceptive failure. It is not effective if taken 72 hours after unprotected sex. It is 95% effective within 24 hours of unprotected sex, 85% between 25 - 48 hours and 58% if taken between 49 - 72 hours.

Now, if her pregnancy test is negative then the chances of being pregnant are minimal.

The kits available in the market are accurate and the results can be relied upon if the kit used is from a good company. If doubtful, you can be doubly sure by getting serum Beta Human chorionic gonadotropin levels checked.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Please accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Take care and Regards.