Irregular periods, nausea, tender nipples, swollen abdomen with movements. Taking Implanon. Pregnancy tests negative. Chances of pregnancy?

Have implanon for last 2 years, no periods in that time, three months ago had 2 periods in 3 weeks each lasting roughly 4 days, since then i have had nausea, tender nipples, in last two weeks i have had swollen abdomen which is firm and tender in upper adbomen, also felt movement in abdomen, had two pregnancy tests both come back negative
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question here.

Implanon can give rise to erratic vaginal bleeding or long periods of no bleeding -- amenorrhoea.

I agree, your symptoms are those of pregnancy. But with two negative pregnancy tests this is now extremely unlikely. You might give some though to having the Implanon taken out. In the meantime, if you have no more vaginal bleeds, keep repeating you pregnancy tests.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Good luck and good health.
Follow-up: Irregular periods, nausea, tender nipples, swollen abdomen with movements. Taking Implanon. Pregnancy tests negative. Chances of pregnancy? 5 hours later
Any thoughts on what the problem could be
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 5 hours later
Thank you for your follow up question.

Since Implanon contains etenogestrel ( which is an analogue of a hormone called progesterone) , it is typically associated with some side effects. The problems that you are currently facing can be attributed to nausea, water retention and breast pain, which are known side effects of this hormone.

If the symptoms are particularly troublesome, you should see your gynaecologist who can advise you about a more suitable method of contraception for you.

I hope this helps.