Irregular periods, hematuria. Pain in the abdomen and legs. Not able to lose weight. Need advice

Question
Hi..I am facing the problem of improper menstrual cycle and haematuria frequently..I feel pain in the abdomen and legs frequently..can you diagnoise my disease??I am unable to lose my weight even.Please help me out...
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 52 minutes later

PCOS is one of the commonest causes of irregular periods. Considering your symptoms of PCOS and obesity, it raises the possibility of PCOS. It is a problem in which a woman’s hormones are out of balance.So ovaries develop more follicles than normal every month.Diagnostic tests are 2 hr GTT (glucose tolerance test),serum androgen and testosterone levels,LH-FSH ratio,prolactin levels,TSH levels,17-hydroxyprogesterone levels and ultrasound uterus.

The other cause of irregular periods could be due to hormonal imbalance, stress, chronic illness, polycystic ovarian disease, thyroid gland disorders or diseases, pituitary gland tumors or cyst, galactorrhea, prolactinomas etc. You should consult a gynecologist and get examined and investigated as soon as possible to know the exact cause of all these episodes.

Blood in urine is called hematuria and it is not normal. This signifies any underlying medical conditions which needs investigations to confirm. Most often it is related to urinary tract problems like kidney stones, inflammation of urinary tract, renal vein thrombosis, certain kidney tumors and polycystic kidney disease, blood coagulation disorders and anticoagulants intake.

From the symptoms it looks like an obstruction of the urinary system which has caused abdominal pain and blood in urine. Diagnostic tests that may be performed include Urinalysis, Urine culture, Blood tests, X-rays of the kidneys, Cystoscopy, IVP, Abdominal ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Irregular periods, hematuria. Pain in the abdomen and legs. Not able to lose weight. Need advice 4 hours later
So Please suggest me if reducing weight causes proper running of my menses..suggest me the diet and medication required..Help me out..

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Weight reduction has significant effect on the periods as being overweight and weight increase in PCOS can both cause irregular periods.

The foods that you should eat more to lose weight are:

Eggs, beans, XXXXXXX tea, salads, fruits like pears, papayas, soups like chichken soup, lean meats, tofu, nuts, high fiber cereal, nuts like walnuts, oatmeal, brown rice and multigrain hot cereals. Also keep a strict watch on your calorie intake, change of diet completely to high fibre, high protein diet, drink plenty of water before and after meal which helps in proper digestion and prevent you from overeating and exercising (walking, cycling or swimming) to burn your extra calories and keep your heart healthy.

Regarding foods that you should avoid in order not to gain any weight are sugar containing foods like sweets, aerated drinks, chocolates, XXXXXXX and preserves, biscuits, cakes, canned fruit in syrup, fizzy drinks, processed foods, oily and fried foods, Red meat, butter, whole-fat cheese, Margarine (especially stick), cakes, pies, frostings and fried foods (i.e., French fries, fried chicken), hot dogs, cheese, tomato sauce, canned and dried soup, deli meat, frozen pizza, potato and pasta mixes and frozen dinners.

Glucophage affects the action of insulin and is useful in reducing a number of the symptoms and complications of PCOS. Other effective treatment for ovarian cysts is use of contraceptive pills or progesterone pills. It can also be treated surgically and this procedure is known as drilling. Other modes of treatment are laparoscopic surgery, laparotomy or surgery for complicated ovarian cysts.

You should consult your gynecologist and get investigated first to confirm the diagnosis.