Irregular periods, heavy bleeding. on modus medication. no periods since three weeks of using medicine. ultrasound of uterus, pelvis normal. Causes ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am a 26 years old female. i had irregular periods and heavy bleeding during the periods. The doctor suggested Modus 10 mg for 3 months. He suggested that after 20 days i should stop the tab and have periods withing 3-4 days, and once the mensuration finishes i can start next cycle. It has been 3 weeks since i finished first 20 tablets of Modus 10 mg ans i have no mensuration so far. My ultrasound reports of uterus and pelvis are completely fine. I am 164 cm in height and 72 kgs in weight. please help
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later

If you are not having any periods even 20 days after finishing a Modus 10mg therapy for 20 days, then the following causes need to be ruled out :-

1. Pregnancy - urine test or blood Hcg levels will help in diagnosing this.
2.Thyroid hormone deficiency- A simple blood test will help in excluding hypothyroidism. Since you have already excluded this cause, getting a repeat blood levels of TSH after one week will help in reconfirmation.
3. Side effect of the medicine Modus 10 you have taken. This medicine itself causes a delay in periods sometimes.
4. Severe anemia- Get your hemoglobin levels checked.

You need a thorough evaluation by a Gynecologist as there are various causes for this delay in periods and they can be ruled out only after a Physical Examination and detailed investigations. Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Follow-up: Irregular periods, heavy bleeding. on modus medication. no periods since three weeks of using medicine. ultrasound of uterus, pelvis normal. Causes ? 1 hour later
thanks for your response Dr.Tayal. Out of the causes that you mentioned i can confirm that i am 1. not pregnant 2. thyroid levels are normal (reports taken only one month ago) and there are no such symptoms as well.
I had some blood loss in past few months and my Hb is approximately 8 units.
Also since the gynecologist that suggested me this medicine suggested a 3 month course, So is it a good idea to start taking Modus tab again wihout getting my periods or should i wait for the periods to happen and then start the next cycle. can you suggest some other medicine that i can begin to have my periods or regulate them?
Follow-up: Irregular periods, heavy bleeding. on modus medication. no periods since three weeks of using medicine. ultrasound of uterus, pelvis normal. Causes ? 7 hours later

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

A hemoglobin of 8 gm% is definitely low and needs regular iron supplements for at least three months orally.

If you are very sure that you are not pregnant then you can start with combined oral pills to regulate your cycles after consulting your gynecologist.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Regards.