Irregular periods, dry skin, mood swings, cold feet. Trying for pregnancy. Advice?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
hi i have had irregular periods since puberty twelve years ago. I am trying for a baby. I am using ovulation kits and get lh surge each month but not bleeding. have missed my last two periods. i had a period in XXXXXXX and feb which were 28 and 26 days respectively. I also have Very cold feet (always)and dry skin on my face often. my mood has been variable.
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 24 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX,
thanks for the query.

you didn't mention whether you checked for pregnancy or not,
in case of ovulation with no menstruation the first probability is pregnancy.
but as you are having irregular periods from the beginning,
now what you can do is,

-consult local gynecologist undergo physical examination and blood or urine test for pregnancy,
which will rule out the chance of pregnancy,
if test is negative,

-with doctor's advice you can undergo one ultrasound examination to rule out any underlying pelvic pathology.

-along with that you can go for hormonal evaluation like FSH, LH, estrogen, progesterone, prolactin to estimate the hormonal status.

-as your symptoms like cold feet, dry skin, mood swings are suggesting chances of thyroid abnormality, better to check thyroid profile once with your doctor's advice.

with this primary workup you can most possibly find out the cause of your delayed periods and treatment can be taken according to that.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Irregular periods, dry skin, mood swings, cold feet. Trying for pregnancy. Advice? 15 minutes later
i am not pregnant. took a test yesterday (first response) and it was negative. can i get thise tests done by my GP?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX,

as some of the urine pregnancy tests are less sensitive during early pregnancy, with one negative urine test sometimes we cannot completely rule out the chances of pregnancy,

if you consult gynecologist she can examine you, do blood test for pregnancy and guide you accordingly, so I will suggest checkup with gynecologist, in case you have no availability then you can go to physician.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.