Irregular periods, back pain, stomach ache, vomiting, now bleeding only at night

Ok so I don't know what is wrong with me. The las time I had sex was February. Then my period was acting weird, it will come for two days and stop, or I would have light periods. Sometimes I will urine and theres no blood, and sometimes there is blood. This all occur until XXXXXXX from march until XXXXXXX Then on XXXXXXX on period was really heavy. I had back pains, stomach aches, cramps, and even vomited. Then it stopped until the end of august. So now my period comes at night, and then during the day it will not come. I don't know what's going on
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You have reported that your menstrual cycles have been a irregular for at least the past six months. Irregularity of the menstrual cycle is not uncommon, but when it gets to the point of lasting more than a few months we must consider what might be triggering this.

There are several different factors which may be playing a role in your case. The first which we must consider would be hormonal fluctuation. Estrogen and progesterone certainly play a role in how the menstrual cycle functions both on a monthly basis and during the actual menstrual period. I feel that it is very likely in your case that there is a significant degree of hormonal fluctuation which has caused your cycles to be a regular.

Another factor which can sometimes cause irregularity of menstrual cycles is polycystic ovaries. This is a condition which may sometimes occur in young females. There are benign cysts which grow in the ovaries and can set off a cascade of offense which ultimately leads to menstrual irregularities. There is some association with polycystic ovary syndrome along with obesity although not every female with polycystic ovaries is overweight.

I think, at this time since your cycle has been a regular for over six months it is time to visit with your pelvic ultrasound to take a look at the ovaries as well as the uterus to make sure there are no structural abnormalities such as ovarian cysts which I mentioned previously.

I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert