Irregular periods and having hot flashes. What could be causing this?

I am a 54 year old female, and usually have regular periods. I am now having a period after 2 weeks from the last one - unusual for me. I have been having hot flashes, mainly at night, for at least 5 years; they don't bother me. The last few days, I find my lower arms and wrists "going asleep" with the slightest pressure. I am going to see my doctor in a couple of weeks and get a pap test. I have not gotten a pap test for about 5 years. Otherwise, I am okay!
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Some suggestions. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting us. Most women stop menstruation by this age due to menopause, or at least have very scanty & irregular periods. So, your pattern of bleeding is of concern, although individual variations do occur. This is a good idea to have a pap smear test. This should be done every 3 years (at least), if all previous reports were normal. But, more important for you is to have one Trans-vaginal ultrasound to have a look at your ovaries & thickness of your womb lining. It is very important to rule out malignancy with menstrual irregularity in a woman of your age. This will be followed by Endometrial sampling after Gynecologist opinion. Hot flushes indicate diminishing ovarian function. Which do not get well along with your frequent cycles. So, investigations are indicated. Your "Numbness" is not a good sign. At least you should give more stress on Blood pressure control. A physician's review is mandatory to optimize Blood pressure control. Better to take Vitamin B complex to help with your numbness. Wish you good health. Take care.