Irregular periods. Trying to conceive. Diagnosed with Bilateral polycystic ovarian disease

Hi, i am 28 years old. My periods always come irregular,last periods had come 5 nov 2011, but now it is not coming, i am married and I want to pregancy. last years, i did ultersound, and find Bilateral polycystic ovarian morphology. Plz could u tell me, can i get pregancy.

Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 44 minutes later
Bilateral Polycystic ovarian disease is one of the causes of irregular periods. This is a hormonal problem in which the hormonal disturbances cause a problem with ovulation ( a process where the ovum or egg is released from the ovary). In some cases, ovulation may occur and women can conceive without any problem. However, in other cases, it needs treatment, both in terms of lifestyle measures to reduce weight and drugs like metformin and clomiphene.
Since you did not get your periods for the last 2 months, I would suggest that a urine pregnancy test be done at home. This kit is available at the local chemist. I would suggest using an early morning urine sample and properly following the instructions in the kit.
If the test is negative, I would suggest that you consult your gynaecologist who can evaluate you and start treatment for PCOS. Several investigations would be needed which include:
a.     Serum luteinizing hormone levels
b.     Serum follicular stimulating hormone level
c.     An ultrasound of the pelvic region

Using serial follow up ultrasounds, your gynaecologist will be able to assess whether ovulation is occurring or not. If not, she might start you on drugs like clomiphene to induce ovulation.
It is possible that your husband may also need an evaluation in terms of a semen analysis if there are problems in conceiving subsequently.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.