Irregular periods. Smear test result shows cervix is red. Referred for colposcopy. What could this mean?

Mar 2016

I have been having problems with my periods for a few months. I am really worried about not being able to conceive but I now have more problems. I have had 2 smear tests and they have not been enough cells to report on but my cervix is red so I am being referred for a colposcopy. I am worried to death I have cervical cancer. What does a red cervix mean?

I am actively trying to conceive had a ultrasound scan which shows numerous small follicles, blood work does not show PCOS as originally thought. I am attaching a couple of reports for you to look at.
My bleeding chart is as follows:

21st January – 25th January (5 days bleeding)

23rd February – 28th February (6 days bleeding)
Cycle = 21st January – 22nd February = 34 days

MARCH 2013
22nd March – 26th March (5 days bleeding)
Cycle = 23rd February – 21st March = 27 days

Light Bleeding 5th April, 6th April (1 Panty Liner all day)
7th April only when wipe pink colour

APRIL 2013
24th April – 28th April (5 days bleeding)
Cycle = 22nd March – 23rd April = 33 days

MAY 2013
18th May – 24th May (7 days bleeding)
Cycle = 24th April – 17th May = 24 days
16th June– 21st XXXXXXX (6 days bleeding)
Cycle = 18th May – 15th XXXXXXX = 28 days

JULY 2013
14TH July– 18th July (5 days bleeding)
Cycle = 16th XXXXXXX – 13th July = 28 days

7th August– 15th August (9 days bleeding) – Only Been Brown/Pink Discharge
No Normal Stomach Cramps etc (one Panty Liner daily)

Cycle = 14th July – 6th August = 26 days

20th August – 25th August (5 days) Light Bleeding Pink Discharge (one Panty Liner daily)

9th September – 13th September (5 days bleeding)
Cycle 7th August – 8th September = 33 days

DAY 16/17 24th/25th September light bleeding only when wipe, brown discharge
16th October – 20th October (5 days bleeding, only light)
Cycle 9th September – 15th October = 31 days

Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Your period cycle is overall regular according to your last 9 months period chart but you have light inter-menstrual bleeding or pink to brown discharge for last 2 months. Here, 1 to 7 days period date variation is quite normal and occurs mostly due to hormonal imbalance. However, we need to rule out the underlying causes of irregular bleeding in this context.

The cause could be Poly Cystic Ovary itself, cervical polyp or growth, pelvic or vaginal infection, over weight or obesity, mental stress, thyroid disturbance etc. Some additional test like hormone tests, blood sugar, vaginal swab test may be required for proper management of the case.

2) Red cervix is mostly suggestive of some inflammation of cervical cells and it may be due to bacterial infection, cervical polyp or growth, cervicitis, hormonal changes, contact with chemical subs etc.

Here, you must undergo scheduled Colposcopy as previous 2 smear tests were unable to report. Additionally, you do one HPV test to exclude relative risk and doubts regarding cervical pathology or growth. Proper treatment can be made after pinpointing the diagnosis.

3) You have to follow these suggestion for successful conception under the guidance of your gynecologist.

a) You need proper ovulation with regular cycle. You may require progesterone pill (D16 to D25) and ovulation induction drug (like clomephene) from D2 to D6 to facilitate chance of conception. Metformin is added to above treatment protocol to overcome insulin resistance. Kindly, procure a prescription from your doctor.

b) You should involve in unprotected sex close to ovulation time (14 days prior to due date) or fertile days (D10 to D23 of 26-34 days cycle) to maximize the chance of pregnancy. In addition, ovulation should be monitored in each cycle through serial ovarian follicular study (D12 to D20 in regular cycle) or you can use ovulation prediction kit (LH kit) in the mid-cycle.

c) You have to undergo some other fertility tests like husband semen analysis, test for tubal patency and cervical factors (like Anti Sperm Antibody, Post Coital Test), D-21 progesterone hormone assay, prolactin level test etc.

d) You must take a healthy balanced diet with more fresh fruits and vegetables. Low carbohydrate diet is preferable. Take vitamin-E and folic acid supplements for 3 months in preconception period and there after.

e) Do light exercise for overall physical fitness and control body weight. Avoid mental stress completely by regular meditation or yoga (15 to 30 min). Maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Irregular periods. Smear test result shows cervix is red. Referred for colposcopy. What could this mean? 43 hours later
If I have polycystic ovary itself can you get pregnant naturally if you keep trying?

Can I have intercourse up until my gynaecology appointment or should I wait until had cystoscopy? Does this hurt and what happens please? I am very scared and worried.

Many thanks
sorry I mean colposcopy not cystoscopy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up queries.

1) If your ovulation occurs properly in spite of having poly cystic ovary, then you have greater chance of being pregnant naturally. As your period is quite regular, then hopefully you ovulate timely. You can track down your ovulation day by using ovulation prediction kit (LH Kit) in the mid cycle to maximize the chance of pregnancy.

2) I suggest you to avoid intercourse till the problem is completely resolved as inflamed cervix (reddish color) due to bacterial infection or other causes (if any) may reduce the chance of conception by inhibiting entry of sperm inside cervix. It should be treated properly before trying to conceive.

3) You must undergo Colposcopy Examination for proper diagnosis of the case and treatment after that before planning for baby. Until then, you should wait for intercourse.

Colposcopy is a diagnostic tool to examine an illuminated, magnified view of the cervix and the tissues of the vagina & vulva. Many premalignant and malignant lesions in these areas can be detected through the examination.

A specialized colposcope equipped with a camera is used for examination. In this method, mild pain or bleeding may occur due to insertion of the device inside vagina. However, there is no serious complication and you wouldn't be worried.

Hope, I have guided you properly. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen