Irregular periods. Prescribed with withdrawal pills. Any other medication?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My name is XXXXXXX Age 36 yrs weight 57 KG. I am very much worried due to my irregular menses.
Last 6 months I dont got periods. I am having this problem last 2-3 yrs. Everytime My gynac prescribes withdrwal pills. I want this problem to be fixed once for all. Please help me. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Hi there,

Kindly do answer a few questions for me to be in better position to help you.

Have you gained weight recently ?

Any hair growth on your face or chest ?

Have you gotten an ultrasound scan of your ovaries and uterus ?

There are many possible causes for prolonged absence in menses. Commonest causes are hormonal disorders, PCOD, Uterine infections, etc.

In case of hormonal disturbance or PCOD the menstrual cycles need to be 're-started' by oral contraceptive pills (OCP). This should be followed for a couple of cycles which should usually be effective in regularizing cycles once withdrawal is complete.

PCOD needs weight loss to optimum weight by exercise, healthy diet low in carbohydrate and fat, anti-diabetic medication to reduce the high blood sugar which is associated with it.

Kindly get a Gynecological pelvic ultrasound as well as hormonal tests as required, blood sugar test as well, to find out above mentioned conditions or others as well. According to the cause the treatment can be focussed to eliminate the problem.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.