Irregular periods. Pelvis USG showing enlarged uterus, bulky uterus with adenomyosis

I am 52 years old women went to doctor for irregular cycles for the past 3 months and was advised for scan and had USG Pelvis TAS
Report says:
U bladder is adequately ditended . No calculus/mass seen within. The wall appears normal

uterus enlarged in size. Myometrium appears inhomogenous with whorl like pattern. The uterus measures 8.1 X 7.4 X 8.3 cm ET 9mm
RT ovary measures : Not visulalised. small follicles seen
Lt Ovary Measures : 2.5 X 2.1 cm normal size & echoes small folliciles seen
The adnexa show no abnormality
No free fluid in POD

Could you kindly advise on this result what exactly the problem is and what are the precautions to be taken.

I have not gone back to my doctor yet
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 23 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query and sharing your ultrasound report.

The ultrasound is suggestive of increase in the thickness of uterine wall and possible features of adenomyosis.

Adenomyosis is uterine thickening that occurs when endometrial tissue, which normally lines the uterus, moves into the outer muscular walls of the uterus.

This can happen normally in women near menopause. This can lead to problems like that you have irregular or heavy bleeding, pain etc.

Most of the patients respond to pain medications for pain and some hormonal tablets to control heavy bleeding.

Your doctor will also do local examination and feel the uterus.

There is no need to worry and this is not something very serious.

In very few patients who do not respond to the treatment given than only surgery is advised.

Please visit your doctor and share the reports with him and get treated.

I hope, this answers your query. I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Irregular periods. Pelvis USG showing enlarged uterus, bulky uterus with adenomyosis 14 minutes later
I had mentioned about the size of uterus ENLARGED SIZE - is this a problem and no answer for this

The Scan says RT Ovary not visualised - what does it mean

small follicles seen both in LT & RT Ovary - is it problamatic

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 5 minutes later

Good to hear from you so soon.

The size of uterus is enlarged due to this adenomyosis only.

Rt.ovary is not seen but follicles are seen.This does not mean any problem.

Small follicles are seen in both ovaries:all of this does not mean any additional problem.

Please do not worry,discuss with your doctor and get treated.