Irregular periods. Had unprotected sex. Need help in preventing pregnancy

Infertility Specialist
i had two period last month January 11 and 24.Then i had sex this Feb.10 and i dont have period yet until now and I dont want to get pregnant what will i do? thanks
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

If you had sexual intercourse on February 10, You should have taken emergency contraceptive pill before 72 hours. Now its late. Following is my advice for you:

-Intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD) prevents implantation of fertilized embryo. It has to be inserted with in 5 days after intercourse. Hence visit a gynecologist as soon as possible and ask for advice on insertion of IUCD right away.

-Insertion of an IUCD is more effective than use of Emergency Contraceptive Pills - pregnancy rates when used as emergency contraception are the same as with normal IUD use. IUDs may be left in place following the subsequent menstruation to provide ongoing contraception (3–10 years depending upon type).

I hope I answered your question. Please accept my answer if no more questions.