Irregular period, fluctuating bleeding, often have clotting. Will it hinder in pregnancy?

Question
Hi im 20 years old and i have very irregular periods. Some monhts are light and some are very heavy . I ften have clotting too . Will this hinder me from getting pregnant? Me and my boyfriend have been trying for over a year and i havent had any luck :-(
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I will try to help your with your condition.

Please note that for pregnancy to occur normal ovulation is mandatory. You are having irregular periods and at times variation in flow; this could be due to some underlying hormonal abnormality or some other reasons.

There could be various reasons for this. Unless your periods are regular and you are having normal ovulation pregnancy is difficult.

Since you are trying since one year without success there are all the chances of some abnormalities.

The common conditions responsible for such problem are:
1. Thyriod disorder
2. Polycystic ovaries
3. Some hormonal abnormalities like high prolactin level etc.

It is better that you visit a gynaecologist and get your self properly examined. Your doctor will advise some tests like thyroid function test, ovulation study, serum prolactin level etc.depending upon his clinical impression.

Ultrasound of abdomen is very important diagnostic tool and will definitely help.

Please visit your doctor and get your self properly examined.

I hope, this answers your query. I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Irregular period, fluctuating bleeding, often have clotting. Will it hinder in pregnancy? 10 hours later
Thank you very much for that i will follow up with her on that. I also forgot to mention my periods were normal until ive had two abortions and was on birth control for a year could that have had something to do with it as well?

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 3 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Since you have already conceived twice, a major issue with your reproductive tract and hormones can be ruled out.

After stopping birth control pills, ovulation resumes within a couple of months after which the periods regularize and normal fertility level is resumed.
In most of the cases, a previous abortion does not affect your chances of conceiving in the future unless there has been some complication.

I would suggest that you visit your doctor and get yourself examined and evaluated.

Wishing you the best of health and happiness.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Irregular period, fluctuating bleeding, often have clotting. Will it hinder in pregnancy? 12 hours later
ok thank you so much for that i just have one more question for you. Is there any type of medecine i can purchase over the counter or any home remedies i can do to get my cycle back on track besides birth control because i really dont want to go that route again

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 hours later

I am afraid, but the answer is no. You should not take any pills for this without knowing the reason.

Without proper investigation, it is not advisable to take anything / any drugs.

There are no home remedies which can help here.

Dr.Pragnesh