Irregular period, black discharge. Am overweight. Side effect of Implanon?

May 2013
Hi Drs I have had the Inplanon in now for 19 months & never had a problem with it, I didn't have any periods for over 6 months, then I was getting a light one every 3 months or so but for the last month I have been getting what I think is my period on & off. The blood is dark brown & (excuse the description) like jelly but not like a blood clot, more as if it's mixed with discharge. I am overweight & I was wondering if the effects of the Inplanon is wearing off?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 23 minutes later
Implanon can cause side effects like menstrual irregularities, brownish discharge etc.
So possibly the symptoms you are having could be due to this.
With continuous hormonal therapy poly cystic ovaries can be cured but they can reappear sometimes.
You can just monitor the spotting, that will decrease soon.
If the irregularity increases you can once consult your doctor to get examined.
Try to maintain ideal weight, which helps in regularization of the periods.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.