Irregular period and PCOS. Prescribed medicine for ovulation. How can I conceive?

Infertility Specialist
Hello Doctor,
I am 28 yrs old. I am married for 3 yrs now. I have irregular periods and slight PCOS. Can you prescribe any medicine for me to ovulate. Also please suggest me how to conceive while having irregular periods. Thanks for all.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 44 minutes later

I infer that you have been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS0 and are taking medroxyprogesterone (Orgamed) for getting regular periods.

First, I request you to stop taking Orgamed for regularising the periods. This drug would be of no use if we do not know about the ovulation status.

Next, please follow my advice in the same sequence as I have described it:
I suggest two tests to start with:

First, get a semen analysis of your husband to check sperm count and other semen parameters.

Secondly, get a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to evaluate patency of your fallopian tubes (which carry your egg from ovary to uterus).

These 2 simple tests will rule out the majority of causes of infertility.

After these tests, please see an infertility specialist to get "follicular growth scan"(FGS) on second day of your cycle. Request the specialist to start you on ovulation induction with clomiphene citrate tablets under regular FGS. This is a sure way to find out about ovulation and also know the exact time of ovulation so that you can have intercourse on ovulation days for maximizing pregnancy chances.

What I have suggested above are simple tests and also recommended in PCOS women. Let me reassure you that PCOS is not a big problem. I am certain that you will conceive. Just follow the above advice.

I hope I answered your question. I will be glad to answer any more queries that you might have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Irregular period and PCOS. Prescribed medicine for ovulation. How can I conceive? 14 minutes later
Thank you very much Sir for a prompt and fast reply. Will do as suggested.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 minutes later

I am happy that you are satisfied with my answer. Please close this discussion if you do not have any further queries.

If you wish me to answer in the future, do address your concerns to my attention "Attn: Dr. Mahesh Koregol".

Thanks again.Wish you good health.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Infertility Specialist