Irregular period after delivery. Taken trapic tablet. Something to be worried?

My wife has delivered 11 months ago to my daughter. My wifes menstrual cycles are not happening regularly. She breast feeds my daughter. She had her last cycle 40 days ago....usual cycle is 30 days....during the last cycle there was an extended bleeding to stop which she had taken trapic tablet as per our gynacologist. Is there some thing to be worried about?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

While your wife continues to breastfeed, a hormone called prolactin remains elevated in her bloodstream. This hormone, when elevated, usually suppresses her cycles by preventing ovulation. In many cases, while breast-feeding, the suppression is not complete, and there can be some irregular cycling and bleeding. Sometimes, there is a buildup of the lining of the uterus that can start to shed and patients would experience unpredictable, sometimes daily bleeding.

The medication she was prescribed is an anti-inflammatory medication used to decrease cramping and bleeding. It is a good thought, but there are likely some better options to control her bleeding that might include:

1. Daily progesterone
2. Low dose birth control pills
3. The depo-provera shot

It is worth calling her OB/GYN provider tomorrow and ask about hormonal options. It is never a bad idea to check a pregnancy test if you have had unprotected intercourse.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, please ask. Please also take a moment to give me feedback for this answer. Good luck.