Irregular period. Had unprotected sex. Getting pregnancy symptoms. Chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

My period is irregular and usually ranges from 26-31 days. I had unprotected sex on January 27 2013, and got my period the next day on January 28th 2013. (My previous cycle was 28 days) I then had unprotected sex on February 6th. My husband and I are trying to hold off on kids, so a day and a half later I went and got Plan B one step. Im getting symptoms that could be pms or possibly Pregnancy. Moody, tender breast's, and small cramps here and there. I should get my period in 3 days. Is it too soon to test and will the plan B one step affect a pregnancy test?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 55 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer as per your concern.

First of all, if you get period in 3 days (that means 24th February), then you ovulated around 10th February and your fertile days were 7th-13th February. You were involved in unprotected sex close to the fertile period but you took Plan B step one after one and half days. So your chance of being pregnant is almost nil.

Plan B One Step is an emergency contraceptive pill and it contains levonorgestrel. It gives highest effectiveness (more than 99%) if it is taken within 72 hrs of unprotected sex.

Early pregnancy test is less significant. In general, home pregnancy test gives 95% positive result around period due date or 2 weeks following ovulation. 96-99% positive result is achieved 7 days after due date.

Therefore, I suggest you to wait at least 7 days from due date for getting period and if you do not get it, you must undergo one home pregnancy test with urine or blood test for beta-HCG to confirm/ exclude pregnancy.

Plan B one step only prevent unwanted pregnancy and does not interfere with pregnancy test. You will get positive pregnancy test in case of failure of Plan B contraceptive pill.

Otherwise, your clinical features are mostly suggestive of PMS. It has several symptoms and includes abdominal bloating, breast tenderness, weight gain, headache, anxiety/ depression, mood swing, fatigue, dyspareunia, increased appetite, irritability etc. Tender breast is due to the effect of progesterone hormone in luteal phase. PMS is a good sign for ovulatory cycle and indicates to get period shortly.

In exclusion of pregnancy, do the following things to avoid PMS:

1) Avoid salty/ spicy/ junk food/coffee in 2nd half of period.
2) Avoid stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset by yoga/ regular XXXXXXX breathing.
3) Control body weight by regular physical exercise (if you are not pregnant).
4) Take healthy diet with more vegetables & drink plenty of water or juice.
5) Use anti depressant medication like fluoxetine to elevate mood & sleep.
6) For breast discomfort, take prime XXXXXXX capsule & wear tight breast support.
7) May need OCP/ Progesterone pill to prevent above symptoms on next cycles.
8) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping with more relaxing way.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and practice safe or protected sex in future.

Dr Soumen