Irregular pap smear results, advised colcopsy. Had heavy last periods. Worried cancer or pregnancy ?

i have had a pap smear and results came back as irregular and im scheduled for a colcopspy. my period in september was pretty heavy and my period for october was a week late and very scarey, it was a clear/white thick stretchy mucus with at first dark streaks and later alittler lighter and red. this lasted for 7 days. i have never had anything like this before and i have a 3 year old son. im 22 and am worried about the worst being cancer and the best being pregnancy. any answers you could give me would be great.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

First of all, let me reassure you that irregular Pap smear DOES NOT mean only cancer.

Pap smear result can be abnormal due to various reasons as infection, inflammation, cervical dysplasia, herpes, Papiloma virus etc.

The symptoms which you have reported as irregular bleeding with abnormal discharge can be indicative of some hormonal imbalance in the body. The possibility of pregnancy seems remote.

A colposcopy will help in giving a better and a clear picture. If any abnormal area is supected during the procedure then a biopsy is performed for a precise diagnosis.

Relax and avoid being stressed. Wait for the colposcopy result. With this test your doctor will be able to determine the exact cause and suggest you an appropriate treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.