Irregular heartbeats, not painful, discomfort. Any suggestions?

My heart sometimes have irregular heartbeats ..and almost feels like waters pouring on my heart its not painful it feels weird i cant describe it .. Any suggestions ?
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 10 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

You case is interesting and but difficult too considering limited information. I will try to give my best effort to help you in this problem.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     Anxiety disorder: specially if it is associated with excessive worry, restlessness, dry mouth, tremors and sleep difficulty.
•     Cardiac illness: need electrocardiogram (ECG) and 2D-Echo to confirm.
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done as it is a common problem in your age group and can lead to above symptoms.
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Side effect of substance use (stop use if present)

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.