Irregular heartbeats, EKG showed arrythmia, hair loss. Is it normal to have lots of arrythmias every day?

Hey, I`m 20 years old, male. The past 6 months I`ve got problems with irregular heartbeats. Most of the time, when I try to relax, I get lots of extra-beats, and I get strong heartbeats, then a little pause, then 3 quick beats etc. It keeps going for quite a while. One can actually see how my chest "jumps" up and down because the beats are so strong. Sometimes I go with this condition all day long, and some days it comes and goes.

I`ve seen one doctor, and he took an EKG-test which showed 4 arrythmias just in that one test. Still he told me that irregular heart-beats are all normal, and nothing to worry about. I can not possibly understand that it`s normal to have hundreds of arrythmias every single day?

Also, I can add that I`ve lost an signifcant amount of hair over this period (even though no one in my family has got problems with hair loss), and I`ve got problems with sleeping because of the heart beats. I`m perfectly healthy in all other ways, and I play football 4-5 times a week.
What could this be?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
From the description provided it seems that the harmless arrhythmia is premature ventricular contractions.
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart.These premature discharges can be caused by heart attacks, electrolyte imbalances, lack of oxygen, or medications. Immediately after a premature ventricular contraction, the electrical system of the heart resets. This resetting causes a brief pause in heartbeat which is detected by you as abnormal beat.
PVCs can occur in young healthy individuals without any heart disease or high blood pressure.
To find out the cause, you need to have holter monitoring, Echo cardiography, exercise cardiac stress test- treadmill test, Stress echo and nuclear imaging.
Some of the blood tests are also needed like serum electrolyte levels, thyroid levels, cardiac enzymes, etc.
You can get all these investigations done under the guidance of your cardiologist.
The hair fall that you are having are not likely to be related to the rhythm abnormality. It needs an evaluation by dermatologist for proper investigations and treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.