Irregular heart beat, done ECG and holter monitor test, trying to get pregnant. What are the possible outcomes?

Hi there, I went to the gp today for a general checkup and he commented on my irregular heart beat to which I replied it's been there for as long as I can remember. It skips or adds a quick beat. I had an ECG done and have to have the holter monitor in a couple days. AT the time of the ECG my heart rate was 42. The doctor prescribed the tests because, he said, that especially since we're trying to get pregnant it's important to know the reason for the irregular heart beat. I get the results next week. What are the possible outcomes please?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later

After going through your query, I would like to make the following comments:
You seem to be suffering from missed beats. The heart rate at the time of ECG was 42 which is bradycardia.
There are several causes of bradycardia which include conduction blocks (like a first degree heart block), congenital heart disease, hypothyroidism, myocarditis, obstructive sleep apnea, hemochromatosis and some medications, including some drugs for other heart rhythm disorders, high blood pressure and psychosis. However, athletes normally have a bradycardia in the absence of heart disease. extreme cases pacemaker implantation is also done.
If it turns out to be conduction delay defect, then medicines will be prescribed for the same. In I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
A Holter monitoring is the first step in evaluation. Normally it will look for changes suggestive of conduction delay defects in the hearts eg. AV blocks. Based on the results of Holter, further evaluation will be determined
The exact prognosis and further treatment can be determined only after the cause has been identified.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra