Irregular heart beat. Is this any heart disease?

Hi. My boyfriend has an irregular heart beat, should he see a doctor?
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, he should see a doctor

Detailed Answer:

Your boyfriend has an irregular heartbeat. Going by his age of 34, he needs further evaluation of this irregular heartbeat in the form of Electrocardiogram (ECG). A holter monitoring would be able to diagnose the irregularity much better and precisely.

It is normal to have irregular heartbeats occasionally, but not on a regular basis. If your boyfriend has this on a daily basis, it would be ideal to see a doctor, a Cardiologist specifically to be evaluated accordingly.

Hope this is clear to you.

Follow-up: Irregular heart beat. Is this any heart disease? 3 minutes later
My boyfriend was dehydrated at the time of me discovering his irregular heart beat due ro us having drank alcohol the night before. He is also obese and has a past history of illegal drug use, could he have heart disease?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, heart rhythm disorders likely

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for providing the additional information.

History of illegal drug use in the past, along with alcohol intake and the obesity, makes your boyfriend vulnerable to irregularities of heart beats or rhythm.

You must know that drug abusers are known to have high heart rates, and mostly die of sudden cardiac deaths in the form of ventricular tachycardia.

I am glad your boyfriend has stopped its use now. I would suggest him to limit alcohol intake to not more than 2 drinks in any given 24 hours, since excess alcohol also causes heart irregularities.

In addition, it would be better for him to lose some weight to live a healthy heart.

Hope this helps you.