Irregular brown patches on arm and elbow, not raised, no irritation or itching, no difference in skin texture

Question
The skin on my right upper arm and in the crook of the elbow has irregularly-shaped brown patches that look like old scars. There are also patches like this on my left lower arm, but this looks more like a fading bruise. On my inner upper thighs I have the same thing, but the color is a bit darker. None of these areas are raised and you can't feel any difference in the skin texture. There is no irritation or itching associated. I'm not "bothered" by these patches except that I often am asked "what happened to your arm?" and would just like to know what it is?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 48 minutes later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long do you have them?
2.) Are they Increasing in number or size?
3.) Do they bleed?
4.)Is your skin exposed to the sun most of the time in a day?
5) Does anybody else in your family has the same problem?

Your history suggests them to be Age Spots which are common in adults after 40, but they have to be ruled out, hence get yourself examined by a Dermatologist so that he/she may examine you and rule out the exact cause.

Kindly don't worry as Age Spots also called Solar Lentigines are harmless and don't need treatment, but for cosmetic purposes they can be lightened by skin bleaching products or can be removed. Speak to your Dermatologist.

Your Doctor shall have you examined physically and order a Biopsy if he/she has a doubt to rule out any serious pathology.

Once confirmed your Doctor may suggest treatment options which include,
1.) Medications
2.) LASER therapy
3.) Dermabrasion
4.) Chemical Peel.

In addition to the treatment, avoid exposure to sun to the maximum, use a sunscreen lotion when you move out in sun and use a Umbrella or a cap. Avoid sun exposure between 10am to 4pm. Drink plenty water and eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Avoid stress.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer you follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Irregular brown patches on arm and elbow, not raised, no irritation or itching, no difference in skin texture 4 hours later
1.) Since how long do you have them?
They started appearing about 20 years ago.
Yes. The ones on my thighs began at roughly 2" round, and are now larger than my handprints.
3.) Do they bleed?
No bleeding.
Except for the patches on my left forearm, these patches are in areas that never are exposed to sunlight.
No.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 13 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Your Follow up history suggests nothing serious but it suggests them to be Age Spots. Get yourself examined by Dermatologist so that he/she may examine you and rule them out. The treatment options are as I have mentioned earlier if you are concerned, otherwise you can let them be.

Follow the lifestyle modifications which I have advised earlier, visit your Doctor immediately if you notice any changes in their number, size, shape or if they start bleeding.

Wish you Very Good Health.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.